Diary of a Spray Tan Newbie
I recently had my first spray tan at Glamour Bar in Denver. As a spray tan newbie, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've seen some spray tans gone wrong so I've always stayed clear of the tanning booth. Although, my first spray tan at Glamour Bar totally proved me wrong. I went for the St. Tropez classic bronzing mist that Glamour Bar offers, although you can choose a variety of options based on what is best for your skin and what type of tan you are going for. The classic bronzing mist is a self-adjusting bronzing mist. It is oil free and the tan will deepen over 4-8 hours.
I have to say, I'm hooked. The tan looked incredibly natural and gave me a healthy sun kissed glow. So for all you other spray tan newbies, I did the guess work for you and I'm sharing a few things you need to know before getting your first spray tan:
- Schedule an evening appointment. Eventing appointments are best. You feel a bit sticky after so you'll want to go straight home to let the tan take effect.
- Prep your skin. Exfoliate and shave the day before your spray tan. It's important to prep your skin so you can get the best tan possible.You don't want to shave after your tan becasue it will take off the tan.
- Avoid any lotions or oils. Don't use any lotions or oils on the day of your spray tan as this will effect the longevity of your spray tan.
- Go makeup free. Come completely bare faced to your appointment so that you get a natural tan on your face as well.
- Strip down. You can wear whatever you're comfortable in for your spray tan. You can wear a black swimsuit or go totally naked if you don't want and lines. I just wore the disposable underwear they provide to avoid any lines on top.
- Dress appropriately. After your spray tan you will want to put on loose dark clothing.
- Protect your sheets and towels. The classic tan developed over night so I didn't shower until the next morning so some of the tan can come off on your white sheets or towels. I laid a dark towel over my white sheets and had no issues.
- Don't worry if it starts to crease. As your tan develops it is natural for it to gather in the creases of your elbows and wrists. Don't worry, this will come off once your shower.
- Maintain your tan. Be sure to moisturize your skin to make your tan last as long as possible.
I went for a pretty natural tan and I absolutely loved it. I was worried that a spray tan would make you look orange, but I didn't look orange at all. This was perfect to start our holiday in Australia so I wasn't totally pale for the first day at the beach.